Wednesday 17 April 2013

A big decision

I've had this post sitting in my drafts for a while now waiting for the right time to post it - here goes...

I've lived in Cork since I was 6, and where I grew up was a little out of the norm - in a Guesthouse. My mum ran the Guesthouse while my Dad was running a Hotel in West Cork. The best thing about where we lived was that it was a 5 minute walk from a Hockey Club and I've been playing there ever since - 18 years in the one club!!!

Unfortunately, after months of tears, frustration, happiness and finally clarity I've decided to leave the Club. I wont go into my reasons why as that would only be re-hasing things and dwelling on the negativity, but mentally I couldn't stay any longer. It was literally the only negative in my life and therefore had to be removed. 


Obviously I'm gutted, I've been training twice a week with a match, sometimes two, every weekend since I was 16! But I am also looking forward to a new chapter in my life, I am not sure yet if I will continue playing hockey next season but I am looking forward to training my body for something else, Tag Rugby has started again and as you know I've decided to take part in the Cork City Marathon in some way (not the full though!) so those are already two things to look forward to.

I have to say the texts and emails I have received from people thanking me for what I've done at the club over the years has been heart warming (and wrenching at times) and I only wish that there were more of those people around. I received one particular email from one of the Mums that was so sweet and did make me well up.

I'm going to miss my girlies so much and I will obviously miss the game. I am so grateful for the lessons it has thought me and it has had a huge effect in me as a person and is largely responsible for who I am today. Finally I am glad that I have left with my head held high and for my reasons and nobody else's.

It's been great - The Mighty Quins

Thanks for reading guys, bit emotional right now, B x 

No comments:

Post a Comment